Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Black Death (2010)



Director: Christopher Smith



Set during the time of the first outbreak of bubonic plague in England, a young monk is tasked with learning the truth about reports of people being brought back to life in a small village.

Black Death is a story about men on a mission.  During the time of the Black Plague, A rumor has surfaced that there is a village that is completely free of the disease.  Ulric (Sean Bean) has been tasked with wiping out the village because it is believed that necromancers are raising the dead there and that is why there is no disease. (or something like that)

This is definitely not your typical fun medieval adventure.  On the contrary, this movie is dark, gloomy, and very unfun.  While I didn't hate this movie, I certainly didn't love it either.  Truthfully, this is a very well made movie, and I'm sure there are many of you who will enjoy it.  It was just a little too dark and gloomy for me.

The cast is superb, and the story well written.  The sets are very well done.  I did not, however, enjoy the occasional POV perspective and shaky camera action.  In fact I hate this new trend of hand-held camera work.  It all seemed to start with Battlestar Gallactica.  But I digress...

It's difficult for me not to love anything with Sean Bean in it.  He is fantastic as always.  It is understandable how he is type-casted in these kind of roles.  They suit him.

Once again, while I did not love this movie, I would definitely recommend you check it out and make your own decision.  I just prefer a little more "fun" in my movies.



Cast
 
Sean Bean ... Ulric

Eddie Redmayne ... Osmund

John Lynch ... Wolfstan

Johnny Harris ... Mold

Jamie Ballard ... Griff

Carice van Houten ... Langiva

Andy Nyman ... Dalywag

Emun Elliott ... Swire

Tygo Gernandt ... Ivo

Kimberley Nixon ... Averill




No comments:

Post a Comment