Saturday, January 7, 2012

Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (TV Series 1995–1999)


Creator: Christian Williams




Hercules, aided by his best friend Iolaus, goes on many adventures helping people and slaying mythical monsters using his half-god strength.


Hercules: The Legendary Journeys was a sindicated TV series of the 90's that spawned a multitude of fantasy related series.  None of which (save Xena) enjoyed the success of it's father.  Among these series was it's spinoff Xena: Warrior Princess, Beastmaster, Conan, Sinbad, and many others.  While I enjoyed those series for what they were, nothing can compare to the original.  I even prefer Hercules over Xena in many regards, though I believe I am a minority.

The series was very well done (for the 90's), decent special effects for the day, great action, and fun pacing.  Rewatching the series, I kept waiting for it to "catch it's legs".  The original movies, and the first season or two was not what I remembered.  But, once regulars like Ares and Aphrodite started to appear, I started to enjoy the series like I did in the day.

I decided not to take a number of screenshots as I'm sure most of you know the series and what it looks like.  The sets are nicely done and the women get more and more scantily clad as the series progresses. 

I'f you've never seen Hercules, check it out as I consider it a "modern" classic.  (can 20ish years ago be modern? God I feel old.)

Verdict: Recommended

The Cast




























3 comments:

  1. Now you see Xena I love and have all the episodes and could watch repeatedly; Conan and Sinbad I have queued up for watching this year, but Hercules (on the strength of the few episodes I've seen) I could never get into. It always felt like Xena's kid brother to me. But on your recommendation I'll give it another go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally understand where you are coming from. It's similar to me liking Angel way more than Buffy. I think Xena was better done, It's just something about the character I couldn't get into. I felt like Hercules was just more fun. Although like I said, the later episodes are much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, to be fair to poor old Herc, I've only seen a few, random episodes and maybe one or two of movies.

    ReplyDelete