Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Beastmaster (1982)






Director: Don Coscarelli



The Beastmaster tells the story of Dar (Marc Singer), the royal son of a king named Zed (Rod Loomis) who was stolen from the womb of Zed's queen (Vanna Bonta) by a witch under the command of vicious high-priest sorcerer Maax (Rip Torn). A poor villager saves Dar from being sacrificed and raises him as his own son, teaching Dar how to fight and witnessing the boy's ability to telepathically communicate with animals.
Their happiness is destroyed when their village is attacked by the evil Jun horde, a race of fanatic beast-like warriors controlled by Maax. Dar, the only survivor of the attack, vows revenge and journeys to his father's former kingdom to destroy Maax.


Another classic from the 80's.  The Beastmaster was a staple of my youth.  I remember watching it countless times when it came on TV.  I'm pretty sure I wore out a VHS copy of it as well.  Upon re-watching it for the blog, I determined that I still really like the movie, although I didn't remember there being so many slow parts.



The acting is serviceable.  I can't say that Mr. Singer is a great actor, but he was always one of my favorites as a kid.  The rest of the acting is also decent.  No real stand-outs here.


The movie looks good for the time, and the practical effects are nicely done.  The action is decent, and there's enough to keep you entertained.  I'm not a huge fan of Tanya Roberts, but I'll look at her breasts as much as the next guy.


I know I'm not really pouring the love over this classic fantasy flick, but rest assured, I still love it and I'm sure you will (or do) too.




verdict: Recommended of course.

The Cast


Marc Singer ... Dar


Tanya Roberts ... Kiri


John Amos ... Seth


Joshua Milrad ... Tal


Rip Torn ... Maax


Rod Loomis ... King Zed


Ben Hammer ... Young Dar's Father


Billy Jayne ... Young Dar


Ralph Strait ... Sacco








No comments:

Post a Comment