Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Season of the Witch (2011)



Director: Dominic Sena
Writer: Bragi F. Schut

A 14th century Crusader returns to a homeland devastated by the Black Plague. A beleaguered church, deeming sorcery the culprit of the plague, commands the two knights to transport an accused witch to a remote abbey, where monks will perform a ritual in hopes of ending the pestilence. A priest, a grieving knight, a disgraced itinerant and a headstrong youth who can only dream of becoming a knight join a mission troubled by mythically hostile wilderness and fierce contention over the fate of the girl. When the embattled party arrives at the abbey, a horrific discovery jeopardises the knight's pledge to ensure the girl fair treatment, and pits them against an inexplicably powerful and destructive force.



If I actually had more than one or two people respond to my posts here, I'd probably get alot of shit for what I am about to say.  1. I really like this movie. and 2. I like Nicolas Cage.  So, there you go.


No, this is not a fantastic film.  But, I was quite entertained here.  The movie looks great, the acting is good (yes, I said that), and it was alot of fun.  Besides, as I've said before, Ron Perlman makes any movie better for me.


What you get here is a good fantasy movie, with a good amount of action.  As rare as theatrically released fantasy movies are these days, I say take it and enjoy it.  Just make some popcorn, sit down, and turn off your brain.


Verdict: Recommended

The Cast


Nicolas Cage ... Behmen von Bleibruk


Ron Perlman ... Felson


Claire Foy ... The Girl


Stephen Campbell Moore ... Debelzaq


Robert Sheehan ... Kay von Wollenbarth


Christopher Lee ... Cardinal D'Ambroise


Ulrich Thomsen ... Johann Eckhart


Stephen Graham ... Hagmar


Brían F. O'Byrne ... Grandmaster




Nicholas Sidi ... Priest


Rebekah Kennedy ... Peasant Turk Girl


Róbert Bánlaki ... Livery Boy

























1 comment:

  1. When Nic Cage is in a film (like this) where he's allowed to play Nic Cage, there's no-one who can out "Nic Cage" him. I kind of enjoyed this movie, but found it occasionally underwhelming (I think my hopes had been quite high after seeing the trailers, then waiting about a year for it appear).

    ReplyDelete