Saturday, December 15, 2012

Witchslayer Gretl (2012)


Director: Mario Azzopardi
Writers: Angela Mancuso (story), Brook Durham (teleplay)



Twenty years after his encounter with the witch, a grown-up Hansel returns to the haunted forest, seeking revenge. But there's a surprise waiting - his sister Gretel (who he thought had been killed) is the witch's protégé.


So, Here we have another lovely offering from Syfy.  I know you are all highly anticipating to find out if this lives up to the extremely high quality of offerings that Syfy puts out.  The answer is, of course, yes.  And by that, I mean yes, it's pretty mediocre.


And, of course, that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it, because I did.  This is a straightforward, no-nonsense Syfy fantasy flick.  There are other Syfy offerings that I have enjoyed more, but this one is ok.  Followers of my blog will understand that I mean this movie is not very good, so if you are a new visitor here don't expect a LOTR epic, or even a Season of the Witch.  You should know what you get with Syfy.


So, here we go...
The story is straightforward and nothing fancy.  It's easy to follow with a few (and expected) inconsistencies.  The acting is fine.  As a big Stargate fan, I can't say anything bad about Dr. Beckett, I mean Paul McGillion although he really should do his accent all the time... no matter what.  Emilie Ullerup is pretty good, and Sarain Boylan is probably the worst actor here.  She's not down-right awful, but the others are better.  Shannen Doherty is really not in the movie much, so don't have much to say about her.  Although this gives me the opportunity to ask... Why is this called Witchslayer Greyl and not Witchslayer Hansel?  It makes no sense.


The special effects are standard Syfy effects, which means they are pretty bad.  Their creature effects really need to step up someday.  The "magic effects" are usually fine, but sheesh.. every Syfy movie creature looks the same.. and terrible.


I'm not going to talk about the females much, as this is a family friendly, TV show, with no sexuality what-so-ever.  But, Emilie Ullerup is pretty cute.


The action is typical of these shows, which means not bad, but not good either.  There's good spacing of the action, so I really was not bored watching this.


Verdict:  Typical Syfy fare.. If you like em, you'll like this.  If not, skip...







 
The Cast
 
Paul McGillion ... Hansel
 
 Emilie Ullerup ... Ehren
 
Sarain Boylan ... Lara
 
Shannen Doherty ... Gretl
 
Jefferson Brown ... Abyss
 
Anne Shepherd ... Ture Zora
 
Clara Pasieka ... Young Maiden
 
Daniela Lazzaro ... Newborn Witch
 
Frank J. Zupancic ... Ehren's Father
 
Marianthi Evans ... Witch Ingonito
 
Maxwell Uretsky ... Young Hansel
 Sophia Ewaniuk ... Young Gretl
 
Gene Arsenawil ... Newborn Witch's Brother
Remy Duselle ... Newborn Witch's Father
 
Nahanni Johnstone ... Thorne
 


 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I'm also a big fan of the Syfy Originals and I agree that this one was pretty bland. We've had a lot worse and several better. Having Emilie Ullerup in here helped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. Kevin Bachelder.. I'm stunned. Yes, I know who you are through some of the podcasts I listen to... or at least used to listen to. Slice of scifi? Treks in scifi? Can't remember. Anyway, Honored to have you reading my little blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been a podcaster since 2005 so I do tend to show up on a lot of podcasts. :)

    I found your blog a few months back and I've enjoyed your reviews of fantasy films. We've covered some of them on our Saturday B Movie Reel podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be sure to check out your podcast, and add a link for it here. I love commenters, hope you stick around and add your take on these movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I'm subscribed to your blog so I'll be checking out your future posts and commenting on them as well.

    ReplyDelete