Thursday, April 18, 2013

Dragon (II) (2006)


Director: Leigh Scott
Writers: Leigh Scott, Eliza Swenson



In a desperate attempt to save her kingdom from an advancing army of dark elves, Princess Vanir must traverse the haunted forest of Sidhe. With the help of loyal adventurers Cador and Artemir, they encounter the army of elves, a mysterious sorceress, and the powerful dragon that stands in their way. Bring the Dragon into your home from December 12th at Blockbuster and Hollywood Video... and let the adventure begin!


This is a movie called Dragon.  While, there is a dragon in the movie, and the characters are looking to kill it, don't you think a more descriptive title would be better?  Or at least one that separates it from all the other movies out there named "Dragon".

Title: 3


The story itself is one that you have probably played in one of your D&D campaigns.  Which wouldn't be bad if this movie was not so boring.  There is a lot of talking here with little action overall.  The action scenes are pretty poor as well.  There is no blood or gore, this is a family-friendly movie.

Plot: 4
Death Scenes: 3


The acting is definitely nothing to write home about.  There are some awful moments, Shaky accents, and little range presented here.  If I were to pick some stand-out, Matthew Wolf and Eliza Swenson are not half bad.

Acting: 4


There are not a lot of special effects, but the ones that are here are pretty terrible.  The dragon is one that you have seen before on many Syfy originals, which means awful.

Special Effects: 2


I can't even add a "it's so bad it's good" title to this.  It's just bad.  The movie take's itself very seriously and I can't help but think it would have been better served with a little comedy or cheese.

Cheese level: 1


If there's any upside at all it would be Eliza Swenson who is pretty damn hot.  As I said, however, this is pretty family-friendly and there is no skin to be had.  There's barely even a bare shoulder.  Eliza is pleasant to look at, skin or no.

Eye Candy: 7


Rewatchability: 1



Verdict: Skip it

Cast

Amelia Jackson-Gray ... Princess Alora Vanir


Jon-Paul Gates ... Lord Artemir


Matthew Wolf ... Sir Cador Bain


Jeff Denton ... Gareth Morholt


Jason DeParis ... Sogomo


Rachel Haines ... Naga


Eliza Swenson ... Freyja


Jessica Bork ... Damara

3 comments:

  1. I think I've seen this. I think I own it on DVD. But I just don't recognise it from the trailer or the stills. If this is the movie I'm thinking of I concur 100% about the D&D comparison, but I seem to recall it actually being quite good. I believe this was The Asylum's first movie (or one of their first, if it's the film I'm thinking about).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, this is done by Asylum but, according to IMDB Asylum goes well back into the 90s. Maybe you are thinking of the far superior Dawn of the Dragonslayer. You and I tend to mostly agree on these things, so maybe check it out again. I'll give it another go if you still think it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping to get a comment from Kevin Bachelder to see what he thinks of this. If he thinks it's good, then I may have been just having a bad day.

    ReplyDelete