Thursday, September 8, 2011

Willow (1988)





Director: Ron Howard

Writers:

George Lucas (story), Bob Dolman (screenplay)

Willow, a small farmer/apprentice magician, meets Madmartigan, a great swordsman, and together they journey through a war-torn land of magic and monsters, to save a baby princess from death at the hands of an evil queen.


Willow was definitely one of my favorite movies when I was younger.  I remember how much I thought Madmartigan was the coolest ever.  I thought this movie was awsome.  Now, many years later, I no longer think this movie is awsome.  However, I still love it.  Besides the nostalgic factor, this movie is actually pretty good.  I just don't remember it being as silly as it is in this view.  The whole making a giant snowball thing as you roll down the hill kinda turned me off, but if you ignore some of the childishness, it's a good movie underneath.


There's really no blood or gore in this film, but it is surprisingly violent for a childrens movie of the time.  People get stabbed and shot and die.  I'm not sure there would be this much violence in it if this movie was made today.  And there is definitely no nudity to speak of, of course.

The acting is top notch in my opinion.  Val Kilmer is always awsome and Warwick Davis is good.  The supporting cast is also very good with a few classic actors like Billy Barty, Jean Marsh and Patricia Hayes adding to the excellent cast.  Of course this flick is written by George Lucas, and directed by Ron Howard.

There's not much more I can say here.  If you've never seen Willow, you definitely need to check it out.  This is one you can watch with your kids.  It holds up very well, even in the current days of CGI.

Verdict: Recommended for you and your family.

The Cast








Gavan O'Herlihy ... Airk Thaughbaer










Maria Holvoe ... Cherlindrea








Tony Cox ... Vohnkar Warrior




No comments:

Post a Comment