Monday, October 3, 2011

DragonHeart (1996)








The last dragon and a disillusioned dragonslaying knight must cooperate to stop an evil king who was given partial immortality.
Director: Rob Cohen
Writers: Patrick Read Johnson (story), Charles Edward Pogue (story)



I was never a huge fan of Dragonheart.  I always considered it a little childish for my tastes.  After rewatching it for this blog, I've determined that my feelings have not changed much.  I'm ok with family-friendly fantasy, even stuff for kids, but this film doesn't have much in the way of my kind of entertainment.


If the film perhaps had a little more humor, or action or even a little eye-candy I'd be ok with it.  Dragonheart came on the heels of the original Jurassic Park, and mainly functions as a new showcase for the technology used for that film.  I'll agree the film looks great and should be seen as the beginning of realistic creatures and dragons in fantasy films.  But, it just isn't enough to save this film



The acting is good.  Once again you'll recognize alot of the faces (and voices) in this film.  I have no complaints there.  The story isn't all that great, and the action has alot to be desired.  There's no blood, or skin in this film, not even any scantily clad goodness.


Overall, I'd say it would be ok to show this to your kid and let him enjoy it, but I don't think you'll get much out of it.  The film deserves a place in history, but I doubt I'll ever watch it agin.


Verdict: Recommended for your kids, not for you.

Cast


















Sean Connery ... Draco (voice)

No comments:

Post a Comment