Sunday, June 12, 2011

Amazons and Gladiators (2001)




Director/Writer: Zachary Weintraub


During the Roman Empire, General Crassius ruled a small province with an Iron fist. Serena, a young girl in a village, watches Crassius kill her parents. Crassius and Serena's destiny would lead them to the Gladiator ring; the Amazons Warrior vs the Roman General.

Rome + Spartacus - $$ - Good Acting = Amazons and Gladiators.  No Buts seriously this is not that bad.  In fact I kind of enjoyed it.  There's really no great story here.  The acting isn't very good.  The action scenes are pretty terrible.  There's nudity, but not enough of it.  However...


However, there's some charm here.  Take out the nudity and you'd have yourself a fairly good Syfy Saturday afternoon flick.  The story is typical.  Girls family dies at the hands of villain.  Girl Grows up, becomes hot, and seeks out said villain and gets revenge.


There's really no big stand-out here as far as acting goes.  I'd like to say Patrick Bergin phone's it in.  But, looking at Mr. Bergin's film career, he really has not done that much good work.  Realistically I'd say Nichole Hiltz stands out above the rest.  She's pretty hot too although I think Melanie Gutteridge It much cuter.


The sets and production are pretty terrible, as this movie is obviously pretty low budget.  I know it sounds like I'm totally ripping on this movie and then telling you I enjoyed it, but well... I guess that's what I'm doing.  I can't quite pinpoint why I enjoyed it.  It's got quirky little charming moments and It doesn't take itself too seriously.


Overall I'd recommend you check out Amazons and Gladiators, just know what you're in for and don't expect Gladiator or even Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

The Cast


 Nichole Hiltz ... Serena


Melanie Gutteridge ... Briana


Jennifer Rubin ... Ione

Richard Norton ... Lucius

Patrick Bergin ... Crassius



No comments:

Post a Comment