Sunday, December 18, 2011

Conan the Barbarian (2011)











Director: Marcus Nispel
Writers: Thomas Dean Donnelly, Joshua Oppenheimer




Here we have the 2011 remake of Conan the Barbarian.  Now, I know alot of people out there despise remakes.  Personally, I am not one of them.  I often enjoy seeing new takes on older movies.  Generally, the remakes do not live up to the original, but I think that's more of a nostalgic factor than anything else.  Everything beloved from our childhood is always going to be "better" than a new version.  Conan the Barbarian is a great example of this.


No matter what I say here, there are those that are going to hate this simply because it is a remake.  I'm not saying this is the greatest movie of all time or anything close to that.  But I did quite enjoy this movie.  Does it live up to the original?  Of course not.  But I think Jason Momoa does a fantastic job here.  He has great intensity and presence.  I like the fact that this Conan isn't overly muscle bound.


I think most of the cast here is very good.  I love Stephen Lang and I think he makes a great villian.  I even enjoyed Rose McGowan, who I'm generally not a fan of.  And, of course,  Ron Perlman makes any movie better.


I really hate to call this a remake.  It does recreate Conan's origin, but besides that, this flick is completely different.  While the story elements are similar, the actual storyline is different.  Which, to me, is much better as I can enjoy both this and the original without feeling like I'm watching the same movie.


There is some nudity in here, but not a whole lot.  Which surprisingly enough, I think is good as to not seem exploitative.  There's plenty of pretty faces and great visuals.  The special effects I think are well done.  I especially enjoyed the "sand people".


Overall, I think this is a good movie.  No It's not going to replace your original Conan.  Nor do I think i'ts trying to.  I think it stands on its own as an enjoyable popcorn flick to throw in the player every now and again.



Verdict:  Recommended

The Cast


















Raad Rawi ... Fassir


Nathan Jones ... Akhun




Milton Welsh ... Remo



1 comment:

  1. I agree. The film has its faults - but then (horror of horrors) so does the Arnie version of Conan.

    I think the real mistake the film-makers made was giving the same name as Arnie's version... pretty much forcing people to make comparisons (or mix the two up).

    ReplyDelete