Thursday, December 8, 2011

Witchville (TV 2010)






Director: Pearry Reginald Teo
Writers: John Werner, Amy Krell




In the Middle Ages, Erik and Jason seek out his compatriot Malachy and force him to return to his homeland. When they arrive, they find that Malachy's father, the King, is dead and their lands are completely devastated. Soon, witch hunter Kramer meets Malachy and tells him that a coven of witches led by the evil Red Queen is responsible for the destruction of the crops. Malachi teams-up with Erik, Jake, Kramer and four warrior-thieves to find the Red Queen. But the witch is very powerful and the skilled warrior Jozefa protects her.Written by Claudio Carvalho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 


Here we have yet another Syfy original movie.  Before I saw this film I thought it was an actual theatrical film that I had somehow missed.  But after watching it for a while, I could see that it was a Syfy.  On the scale of Syfy films, I would have to rate this one toward the top.  While it had some slow parts, it overall kept my interest.


The acting is pretty good, though I expected more from Luke Goss, who seemed to be phoning it in.  The definite standout was Ed Speleers from Eragon fame.  He was actually very entertaining in this flick.  MyAnna Buring is quite awsome in this movie as well.  While you don't get to see very much of her, she portrays quite a good bad-ass.


There is a group of asian henchmen in the movie, that don't really do much, and I'm not sure why they are there.  The main girl is pretty cute though, so I won't complain much.


The action is pretty good, and there's enough of it to keep you entertained.  The special effects are decent given the low budget of a Syfy movie.  The story itself is kind of disjointed, but entertaining enough.



Verdict: Pretty good, recommended if you can handle Syfy originals.

Cast


Luke Goss ... Malachy


Ed Speleers ... Jason


Andrew Pleavin ... Erik


Simon Thorp ... Kramer


MyAnna Buring ... Jozefa


Sarah Douglas ... The Red Queen


Gillian Tan ... Henchwoman


Ian Virgo ... Hobart


Lynne Verrall ... Baba




3 comments:

  1. Just stumbled over your blog and am totally impressed :) (Even though I think you were too generous to Witchville, it bored me to tears!)

    So when: Robin Of Sherwood, Hawk The Slayer, Thor The Conqueror, Conquest, Legend Of The Seeker etc ;)

    Just off to explore some of your links now! Keep up the incredible work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice comments. It's good to have my first commenting, non-hidden follower. I just sort of pick my movies at random. But, I'll step up on your suggestions. Hawk is one of my favorite movies of all time. I hope that sequel goes through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We appear to have very similar tastes in films & TV, so I'm looking forward to you also reviewing things I haven't seen - so I can scuttle off and watch them!

    I've always loved Hawk since I first saw it at the cinema and, like you, hope the sequel comes off. If it's got the funding it's supposed to be being filmed about now, I think! Must try and investigate further...

    ReplyDelete