Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Hawk the Slayer (1981)




Hawk the Slayer, after seeing both his father and bride die at the hands of his malevolent brother, Voltan, sets out for revenge and the chance to live up to his title. Tooling himself up with the "mind-sword" and recruiting a motley band of warriors: a giant, a dwarf, a one-armed man with a machine-crossbow and an elf with the fastest bow in the land; Hawk leads the battle against Voltan to free the land from the forces of evil and avenge his loved ones. Written by terryt


Director: Terry Marcel
Writers: Terry Marcel (original story and screenplay), Harry Robertson (original story and screenplay)




Alright, I finally get to what I consider the Grand-daddy of fantasy films.  Hawk the Slayer was probably THE film that set me off in a love-fest of fantasy flicks.  That and the fact that I had already been playing Dungeons and Dragons for few years before I saw it.  I absolutely fucking love this movie.  It's really hard to explain why to people who are used to giant Hollywood blockbuster type movies why I love this movie so much.  If I sit back and try to look at it from an outside perspective, I can see why many people would not think this was a good movie.  I'll admit there is probably a huge nostalgic factor going on here.  But I try and watch all of the movies I post here just before I post them.  I watched this again just now, and still fucking love it. 


Yes, the effects are highly dated.  But I believe they are well done for the time and the budget.  I previously talked about the remake of Conan the Barbarian how I do enjoy a good remake.  I'd love to see what Hollywood could do with an updated remake of this movie.  I'll guarantee you that I won't like it as much as this beloved original though.  As many of you know there is supposed to be an upcoming sequel called Hawk the Hunter in production.  I do hope it gets off the ground and made.  It has been a few years since I heard about the sequel, so fingers are crossed.


I've read a number of reviews for Hawk before this posting with quite a few being negative.  Yes there is a good amount of camp here, and the actors were very young in there careers, but I have no qualms with any of them.  Jack Palance is sufficiently over the top, while John Terry seemed quite serviceable as the hero.  Terry's acting skills were not the greatest at the time, but I think he did a decent job.  My favorite as a child was always Ray Charleson as Crow the elf, who wonderfully appealed to my 12 year old D&D loving attitude.  I think the comradery between the Giant and Dwarf were quite amusing.


Overall, If you've never seen this movie, and you actually read my blog.  Stop, go now, and watch this.  I thouroghly believe any of you who enjoy this blog and enjoy a "bad" movie as much as I do should see this.  The story is simple, but fun.  The action is good.  Not modern Hollywood good, but good.  This is family-friendly and a good one to show to your kids.



Verdict: Higly recommended

The Cast


John Terry ... Hawk


Jack Palance ... Voltan


Bernard Bresslaw ... Gort, Giant


Ray Charleson ... Crow, Elf




Peter O'Farrell ... Baldin, Dwarf


Shane Briant ... Drogo


Patricia Quinn ... Woman, Sorceress


Annette Crosbie ... Abbess


Cheryl Campbell ... Sister Monica

4 comments:

  1. Once again we agree 100%! Hawk The Slayer has long had an impact on my own Dungeons & Dragons-ing - my latest campaign is actually set in my version of Hawk's world (but several hundred years after the events of the film!)

    I emailed the producer of the sequel (who had originally contacted me), to see what the latest news was (as it was possibly going into production this winter!) - but have yet to hear anything back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friend, I like what you've done with this blog! I may be browsing a while... fab stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the nice comments and I'm glad you are enjoying the blog. I know I'm not much of a "reviewer", I'm just trying to get these out there and give my opinion of them. I wasn't able to find any other "database" of it's kind so I decided to make my own in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, the format you have going by now is excellent. Your perspective is right on. You are going to become an internet treasure. :)

    ReplyDelete